Child abduction case dismissed by court in Poland – legal chances to return the child to another EU country

Child abduction case dismissed by court in Poland – Are there any legal chances to return the child abducted to another EU country?

It goes without saying, that for international couples the issues related to their common children are of vital importance. Unfortunately, even very strong marriage ties sometimes tend to break causing a wave of clashes and legal disputes between former spouses. In practice, it happens quite often that one of the spouses leaves the country with his or her child without any prior consent from another spouse. In such a case the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction comes on the scene and can be applicable (more than 100 countries of the world are parties to this Convention). A spouse is entitled to lodge a claim for the return of the unlawfully removed child before the competent court of the country where his or her child is retained. That fact causes a question: are there any possibilities to get back the child if such a claim has been dismissed.

Child abduction case dismissed by court in Poland  – how to have the child returned ?

Apart from an appeal procedure within a country’s domestic legal system there is a certain mechanism at the European Union level which might help to get your child back. Such mechanism exists pursuant to the Brussels II Regulation (EC) No 2201/2003, and obliges the court deciding to refuse the return of the child on the basis of Hague Convention to transmit a copy of the decision to the competent court of the country of the child’s habitual residence before the abduction took place (article 11(6) of the mentioned Regulation). This rule is applied even in case there are parallel proceedings on the child’s custody in both countries and, despite the fact, the non-return decision might be appealed.

The court of a former habitual residence of the child receives the documents and invites the parties to make submissions within 3 months. Then, there are two opportunities: either none of the parties submits the comments and the case is closed, or at least one party submits the comments as to the effects and the court examines the case on the merits.

The court of the place of former habitual residence of the child might decide to return the child to the referring spouse. The decision of the court is accompanied by a special certificate and is recognizable in the whole Union. However, the court’s decision might not entail the return of the child. In that case the courts of the country where the child is retained take the jurisdiction.

Child abduction case dismissed by court in Poland  – Enforceability of the judgement on returning the child in another country.

It should be admitted that due to the Brussels II Regulation (particularly article 11 paragraph 8) all the  judgments requiring the return of the child and made by the competent court are recognizable and enforceable throughout the EU. This provision is applicable to the cases where, firstly, the return of the child has been refused by the court under article 13 of the Hague Convention.

It means that the non-return decision and even failed appeal of that decision in one state does not deprive the applicant of chances to get back the child.

In practice, the cases connected with the abduction of the child and retaining him or her in another country might be quite complicated and stressful. That is why in such situations it is especially important to consult a lawyer competent in international family law as soon as you can.

Online legal advice for foreigners in Poland

Online legal advice for foreigners in Poland: as a convenience to our clients, we started providing online legal service to foreigners facing legal problems in Poland.

We offer online legal advice for foreigners in Poland in a more convenient than before way. It is quicker and cheaper. You do not need to come to our office to talk to us, however, you are always welcome to do so.

If you need urgent legal advice in Poland, we are here to service you. Our lawyers welcome all clients in need of a consultancy in Polish law.

Whether it is a family law, inheritance case, debt collection, criminal case or do you need legal support for your litigation case in Poland, we are here to support you.

How it works? Here are few  easy steps:

  1. Communicate your problem by eMail or phone call
  2. We send you quotation via PayPal
  3. You accept our quotation or give us your feedback and / or counter-offer
  4. You make the payment
  5. We schedule an online appointment within 12 – 24 hours.
  6. We are available 10 AM – 6 PM, Monday – Friday. Appointments on late evening hours ( 6 PM – 10 PM), weekends and bank holidays can be booked in advance or on the same day subject to availability

Child abduction in Poland – amendments to the provisions in cases for the return of a child under the Hague Convention

Child abduction in Poland is one of the most critical situations that can happen in a family. Child abduction in Poland is usually the result of a conflict between the child’s parent, very often after divorce. This conflict may last several months and sometimes several years.

The legislator in Poland dealt with the topic of child abduction in Poland. As a result of legislative work, the Act of 26 January 2018 on the performance of certain activities of the central body in family matters within the scope of legal transactions based on European Union law and international agreements was passed.

Read more

Road Traffic regulation in Poland

Road Traffic regulation in Poland. Recently,  driving a car without valid driving license was  an offense punishable only with  a fine. Starting from  18th  May 2015, a persons driving a vehicle after the withdrawal of driving license commit  a criminal offense punishable with a fine, restriction of liberty or imprisonment up to 2 years. Despite the above mentioned punishment, the court can also rule penal measure in the form of a driving ban.

Read more

Purchase of property by foreigners

Purchase of property by foreigners. Is it possible for  a foreigner  not being a citizen of one of the EU member countries to  purchase a real estate in Poland? Does the acquisition of real estate through inheritance raise any legal responsibilities for a foreigner?
Read more