Child abduction in Poland – amendments to the provisions in cases for the return of a child under the Hague Convention

Child abduction in Poland is one of the most critical situations that can happen in a family. Child abduction in Poland is usually the result of a conflict between the child’s parent, very often after divorce. This conflict may last several months and sometimes several years.

The legislator in Poland dealt with the topic of child abduction in Poland. As a result of legislative work, the Act of 26 January 2018 on the performance of certain activities of the central body in family matters within the scope of legal transactions based on European Union law and international agreements was passed.

Read more

Denying paternity in Poland. It is not my child.

Denying paternity in Poland may seem to be quite complecated as you need to comply with deadlines and procedures provided by the Polish law.

As practically every claim, also denying paternity in Poland is time-limited.

Denying paternity in Poland – when?

The husband of the child’ mother may file a pettition for denying paternity in Poland within six months from the moment he got to know that his wife has given birth to a child. It results from art. 63 of the Family and Guardianship Code. Assuming that the husband and wife live together, it will be a period of six months from the date of birth of the child. It may happen that the couple does not live together and remains in a formal relationship but does not decide to apply for divorce. In this situation, the husband of the child’ mother will have to prove that he did not know about the birth of the child or that he got to know about it with delay.

In Poland, if a child is born during a marriage, the husband is presumed to be its father. This is pursuant to art. 62 § 1 of the Family and Guardianship Code. The presumption rule is valid 300 days after the termination or annulemt of the marriage, too. The principle of presumption of paternity is not valid in the case of legal separation.

Who can deny paternity in Poland?

Legal action can be brought by the alleged father. The alleged father sues both the child and its mother. Legal action for denying paternity in Poland can be brought by child’ mother, too. She sues both her husband and the child. The child may bring an action for denying paternity in Poland, too. Children can do it when they come of age and for the period of three years.

Denying paternity in Poland many years later

What can do the husband of the child’ mother if he finds out after many years that he is most likely not the father of the child he has been bringing up and financially supporting?

The solution might be art. 86 of the Family and Guardianship Code, according to which the legal action for denial of paternity in Poland might also be brought by the prosecutor. The prosecutor is not bound by any deadline, i.e. the expiration of the six-months-period is not relevant.  However, there is a not so small „but”. The prosecutor is to uphold the ebservance of the law. The prosecutor neither represents the child not the father not the aleged father.

Based on art. 7, the prosecutor can initiate proceedings in case it is required by law and order, citizens’ rights or public interest. The prosecutor may refuse to initiate proceedings for denial of paternity. This may happen if she or he would consider it to be for example contrary social interest.

Submitting an application to the prosecutor’ office

While submitting your application to the prosecutor’ office, one should substanitate that he is not the biological father of the child. DNA test result should be enough to do so. In addition, you should use arguments that would support the positive decision of the prosecutor to initiate the proceeding to deny one’ paternity. You should formulate your  arguments from prosecutor’ point of view and not from father’ mother’ or child’ point of view.

Denyig paternity in Poland – when is it not possible?

Its is not possible after the death of the child or when the child was conceived as a result of a medical procedure. This assuming that the father of the child has consented for the procedure.

Judge refuses divorce in Poland – locked into marriage for ever?

Judge refuses divorce in Poland. It may happen even if your marriage is broken and  exists only on paper and you and your spouse already started your new life period with a new partners.

In Poland, the judge will not only have to decide whether the marriage is really broken. The judge will also indicate culpability of one or both of the spouses for the breakown of marriage.

Read more

Purchase of agricultural land in Poland. Who can buy a property in Poland?

Purchase of agricultural land in Poland seems to be very attractive for many foreigners. However, the new law turned the market situation.

Conclusion of a preliminary sale agreement for agricultural land by  foreigners does not give them the right to enter into the final purchase  agreement  after a specified time without obtaining permission from the  appropriate authority, being Minister of Interior, according to  the amendment of the law after 30 April 2016.

Read more

Denying visitation of child in Poland

Denying visitation of child in Poland is a quite common practice used by ex-spouses. It is their way to take revenge for breakdown of an relationship or divorce. Such situation applies usually to divorced fathers. Sometimes for years, they do not get to see their children. As reason they hear that the child „must learn for a test” or „went to visit grandparents” or „is sick”.

Denying visitation of a child in Poland cannot be a way of punishing an ex for divorce or separation. The main legal instrument that can prevent it from happening is a financial penalty.

Read more

Foreigner facing criminal case in Poland

Foreigner facing criminal case in Poland should learn his rights while being involved in criminal case in Poland.

From year to year, we can see an increasing amount of foreigners engaging in business activities in Poland. Investments’ opportunities and quite liberal immigration policy encourage people from other countries to come to Poland. Having different cultural background, both legal and business like, may cause many foreigners to unknowingly break norms of Polish criminal law.

Read more

Polish residence permit after divorce

Polish residence permit after divorce becomes a very important questions to our clients. It is due to the fact that the number of both international marriages and divorces has been increasing for last few years. Our clients  are interested in their legal status in Poland and the status of their Polish residence permit after divorce.

Read more

Can a pregnat woman get divorced in Poland?

Can a pregant woman get divorced in Poland? We have been asked this question on a frequently basis. Here we can have two options. The first option is that the father of the unborn child is the husband of the woman and the other option is that it is her new partner.

It happens that the spouses have not lived together for a long period, some times for a few years but for various reasons they have been postponing their decision to legally get divorced. Some times, the pregnancy is the moment when they decide to end their marriage which exists on paper only.

Read more

Foreigners getting divorced in Poland

Foreigners getting divorced in Poland are no more an extraordinary situation. Amount of foreigners getting divorced in Poland with Polish partners keeps growing.

Foreigners getting divorced in Poland are not just a question of language barrier. The most important question is to choose the right court and applicale law in order to disolve the marriage.

Read more

Enforceability of judgement issued in other EU countries

Enforceability of judgement issued in other EU countries and the changes to the rules governing the enforceability of judgement issued in other EU countries.
One of the primary reasons of the adoption of UE Regulation 1215/2012, called Brussels I “bis”, was to simplify and expedite the enforcement of judgments issued within the European Union. Read more